The Ministry of Works and Transport is subdivided into five functional
Departments. The divisions are for administrative convinence and for the delivery of policy thrust of
the Ministry. The Departments includes, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Planning Research and
Statistics, Finance and Accounts and finally Administrative Department.
These Departments are manned by highly trained and professionally competent personnel employed and posted
to the Ministry by the Civil Service Commission of Ebonyi State.
To complement these personnel, the State Government under the Leadership of Engr. Dav Umahi equally
procured road construction equipments in addition to conducive office environment for optimal performance.
Objectives of the Ministry of Works and Transport
The broad objectives of the Ministry is to construct, reconstruct and rehabilitate urban and rural road
networks in Ebonyi State. To achieve the above objective, the Ministry collects and maintains a scientific
inventory on terrain, soil type and distance of all roads in the State. Designs and estimate cost of
construction of selected roads.
Other objectives include:
There are two agencies in the Ministry of works and Transport:
- To stabilize the public transport sub-sector of the economy and maintain affordable transport fare regime.
To ensure security of commuters by regular inspection of road worthiness of all vehicles to ensure that
only licensed drivers and sound vehicles are permitted on the roads.
- To organize training and retraining for professional staff to meet the challenges of their duties.
- To provide landing sites at the river banks and construction of motor parks for convenience of commuters.
- To ensure that necessary revenue to the Government is collected and remitted timely.
- To liaise with other ministries or agencies of Government in delivery of service to the people.
- EBROMA (Ebonyi Road maintenance agency)
- EBOTRANS (Ebonyi Transport Co-operation)
These agencies as their names suggest, provide service in the road construction, maintenance and
rehabilitation (EBROMA) and provision of road transport within and outside Ebonyi State.
The Co-ordination of the activities of the above departments and agencies rest on Hon.
Commissioner for Works & Transport, Engr. Nweze Fidelis Kings (mnse) who is an experienced Civil
Engineer. Directly below the Hon. Commissioner is a Permanent Secretary who is vast in administration
In terms of policy matters, the Hon. Commissioner takes directives from the State Executive Council
chaired by His Excellency The Governor of Ebonyi State, Chief Engr. Dav Umahi.